SELECTING A DANCE STUDIO
Parents spend hours investigating and interviewing schools and extracurricular activities. Children spend countless hours at these institutions and parents make a hefty financial investment in them, too. When choosing a dance studio, use the following factors to assist in selecting a facility that best fits your family.
1. OWNER: The studio owner must be accessible to address questions and concerns.
2. FACILITY: Studios should be clean and have proper dance floors with a sprung sub-floor, mirrors, and sound systems. Inquire about the studio’s safety procedures in regards to entering/exiting the building.
3. INSTRUCTORS: Strong studios value quality instruction. Inquire about the backgrounds and qualifications of the studio’s staff.
4. CURRICULUM: The studio should have a curriculum system in place.
5. UPFRONT INFORMATION: All programming, expense, and calendar information should be detailed upfront.
6. ACCREDITATION: The studio should ideally be affiliated with a professional accrediting organization. (Examples include: Dance Masters of America and the Cecchetti Council of America)
7. INDUSTRIAL CONNECTIONS: Make sure the studio is abreast of current dance trends. Does the studio bring in guest artists and/or attend conventions?
8. OBSERVATION: Dance studios should allow parent observation (closed circuit monitoring, observation windows, or in-studio observation opportunities).
9. PROFESSIONALISM: The culture of the studio should be professional, responsible, and accountable.
Ultimately, you are leaving your dancer’s welfare, potential passion for dance, and physical safety in the hands of your chosen dance studio. Be proactive in finding the facility that is the best investment for your child!
Leave A Comment